- Barton, Bob, and David Booth, Stories in the Classroom: Storytelling, Reading Aloud, and Role Playing with Children, Heineman, 1990.
- Bettleheim, Bruno, The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales, Vintage, 1997.
- Birch, Carol, The Whole Story Handbook, August House, 2000.
A short and useful guide on to work on a story for telling. With extensive bibliography.
- Calvino, Italo, Italian Folktales, Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, 1980.
A huge book of classic stories by a master.
- Collins, Rives and Pamela J. Cooper, The Power of Stories, Waveland Press 1997
- Davis, Donald, Writing as a Second Language, August House, 2000.
- Egan, Kieran, Teaching as Story Telling, University of Chicago Press, 1986.
- Egan, Kieran, Imagination in Teaching and Learning, University of Chicago Press, 1992.
- Hamilton, Martha and Mitch Weiss, Children Tell Stories, Richard C. Owen Publishers, 2005.
The handbook for using storytelling in classroom settings
- Holt, David and Bill Mooney, The Storytellers Guide, August House, 1996.
- Holt, David and Bill Mooney, Ready-to-Tell Tales, August House, 1995.
A collection of stories told by professional tellers that are simple and straightforward.
- Holt, David and Bill Mooney, More Ready-to-Tell Tales, August House, 2000.
- Sawyer, Ruth, The Way of the Storyteller, Viking, 1942, revised 1962, Penguin Books, rep